Things to Know
- The information on preparing rankings of applicants are essentially the same for both Phase I and Phase II of the Match. Any relevant differences in the two Phases are noted.
- The list of preferred applicants you submit to the Match is called a Rank Order List.
- You must enter and certify a Rank Order List in the NMS Match System by the Rank Order List deadline for each program you are offering in the Match.
- If you have no acceptable applicants to rank for a program, you should certify a Rank Order List with no ranks.
- If your program no longer has positions to offer in 2019, you must withdraw the program from the Match.
|NMS Match System Opens for Rankings||February 28, 2019|
|Rank Order List Deadline||March 18, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. ET|
The matching algorithm is designed so that it cannot be gamed or manipulated.
The only strategy is to rank your choices in order of your true preferences, without considering how you expect to be ranked by any applicant.
Rank all applicants that would be acceptable to the program. Submitting a longer list of applicants may reduce your chances of being left with unfilled positions.
Do not rank any applicant that you consider unacceptable (i.e., you would not want to be matched with that applicant, even if you may not fill a position). You can only be matched to applicants that appear on your Rank Order List.
Certify Your Rank Order List
You must certify your Rank Order List in the NMS Match System for it to be used in the Match. Certifying a Rank Order List lets NMS know it is ready to be used in the Match.
You can make changes to a list even after it is certified, until the Rank Order List deadline. If you make changes after a list is certified, you simply have to certify the list again before the deadline in order for it to be used in the Match.
Programs with Special Requirements
No Applicants to Rank
If your program has position(s) available that you would like to fill but you have no acceptable applicants to rank for the program, you should certify a Rank Order List in the NMS Match System with no ranks. This indicates to NMS that the program is still active but you have no ranks to submit.
Reverting unfilled positions is not permitted in Phase II of the Match.
Submitting multiple Rank Order Lists for a single program is not permitted in Phase II of the Match.
It is possible to request that the matching algorithm impose a limit on the number of applicants from any one university/school who are matched to a program.
Guide to the NMS Match System
Consult the NMS Match System Guide for detailed instructions for using the NMS Match System.
To jump to the instructions for a specific task within the System Guide, refer to the links below: