Collection of Your Information
NMS collects information about your visit and use of the Website. In general, you can visit the Website without indicating who you are or submitting any personal information. However, we collect and maintain the IP (Internet Protocol) addresses of all visitors to the Website and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on the Website. We use this information to help us understand Website activity and to monitor and improve the Website.
We may also use the following tools:
- Analytics: We may use third parties to help us gather and analyze information about the areas visited on the Website and the timing of those visits in order to better understand, evaluate and improve the user experience and the convenience of our services.
- Tracers and Trackers: The Website and contracted service providers may use tracers or trackers to collect information about how you interact with the Website. Trackers will record statistics and diagnostic information about your visit to the website.
If you start the process of registering on our Website (e.g., to participate in a Match), register on the Website, or use our Website as a registered participant, NMS will collect personal information directly from you. The information collected is outlined in the Match-specific Privacy Notice accessible from the links provided at the bottom of this page. The personal information that we collect from you may include:
- your contact and payment information;
- your Rank Order List information; and,
- other personal information as determined by the Sponsoring Organization for your Match (Sponsoring Organization(s) are identified in the Match-specific Privacy Notices accessible from the links provided at the bottoms of this page) or required for the provision of our service.
NMS may also collect your personal information directly from the Sponsoring Organization(s); from other parties involved with the Match (e.g., educational institutions or organizations, professional organizations, accrediting organizations, applicants, recruiters); from other organizations who provide services complementary to the Match (e.g., a central application service) or from other publicly available sources (e.g., professional or educational directories).
Use of Your Information
NMS may use the information it collects in a variety of ways to operate our business. Your information may be used for purposes related to:
- Operations: We may use your information to operate, maintain, enhance, provide, execute and report on our services.
- Improvements: We may use your information to understand and analyze the usage trends, preferences, and tendencies of visitors to our Website and individuals participating in or involved with our services.
- Communication: We may use your information for administrative and support purposes, like contacting users by email or phone with notifications about our services, to clarify or correct the information in our records, to verify your identity, or to provide information about related services.
- Identify you as a unique participant
- Register an account
- Process payment
- Collect and process your placement preferences
- Report the result you obtain
- Communicate with you (e.g., by phone or email)
- Meet contractual and legal requirements or as otherwise required or permitted by law
NMS may make your information available, as required, to certain service providers who have been contracted to provide various services on our behalf. These include providers of technology, hosting, data analysis, software development, administration, payment processing, marketing, and legal services. These service providers are given the information they need to perform their designated function, and we do not authorize them to use or disclose personal information for their marketing purposes.
We may also make your information available to the Sponsoring Organization(s) of your Match or to organizations approved by the Sponsoring Organization(s) who provide complementary services related to our matching services (e.g., a central application service).
Your information may be maintained and processed by service providers in Canada, the US, or other jurisdictions.
Consult the Match-specific Privacy Notices accessible from the links provided at the end of this page for further detail on how your personal information may be processed.
Security of Your Information
Your online access to your personal information is protected by a password. We strongly recommend that you do not disclose your password to anyone. Please notify NMS immediately if you suspect any unauthorized access, use or disclosure of your information.
Accessing, Correcting or Removing Your Information
You have the right to access, update, correct and delete inaccuracies in your personal information in NMS's custody and control, subject to certain exceptions (e.g., your Rank Order List and other information cannot be changed after specified deadlines) and as prescribed by law. You may update the information you have provided to us by logging in to your account and updating the Dashboard, Account, Profile, Applications, and Rankings sections of the Website.
Otherwise, you may request access, updating, corrections or deletions of inaccuracies of your personal information in our possession or control by sending a written request to this effect to NMS at the contact information below.
National Matching Services Inc.
301-20 Holly St.
Toronto, ON M4S 3B1
- or -
We may request certain personal information to verify your identity. Please note, that while any deletions will be reflected in active user databases within a reasonable period of time, we may retain all information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
Retention of Your Information
NMS retains your information to determine your eligibility to use our services and to provide reports and analysis on our services to the Sponsoring Organization(s).
We retain your information while under contract with the Sponsoring Organization(s) to provide services, or to otherwise meet legal requirements.
NMS may provide your information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to an investigative body in the case of a potential breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or as otherwise required by law. We may disclose your information to comply with contractual or other legal obligations concerning the services we provide.
We reserve the right to transfer any information collected from our Website in the event of a corporate reorganization or merger with a third party, or upon a transfer of all or a portion of our operations or assets to a third party.
If your information is transferred to the US or another foreign jurisdiction, it will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and may be disclosed or accessed by the courts, law enforcement, and governmental authorities in accordance with the laws of those jurisdictions.
The Website may provide links to third-party websites that may be of relevance to our business. The inclusion of any link does not imply our endorsement of any other organization, its website, or its services. These linked websites have separate and independent privacy policies, which we recommend you read carefully. We have no control over such websites and therefore have no responsibility or liability for the manner in which the organizations that operate such linked websites may collect, use, disclose or otherwise treat your information.
MATCH-SPECIFIC PRIVACY NOTICE
- Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (Dental Match)
- APPIC Internship Matching Program (APPIC Match)
- APPCN Resident Matching Program (APPCN Match)
- AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program (AOA Match)
- Optometry Resident Matching Program (ORMatch)
- ASHP Resident Matching Program (ASHP Match)
- Medical Physics Matching Program (MedPhys Match)
- Genetic Counseling Admissions Match (GC Admissions Match)
How to Contact Us
For more information about our privacy practices, or to report a complaint, contact NMS by e-mail at email@example.com; by phone at (416) 977-3431; or in writing to National Matching Services Inc., 301-20 Holly St, Toronto ON M4S 3B1.
Last updated: May 14, 2018