Things to Know
- The list of preferred programs you submit to the Match is called a Rank Order List.
- You should only rank programs for which you have confirmed that your vaccination status will be acceptable. Check each residency site's website for more information.
- You must log into the NMS Match System to enter and certify your Rank Order List by the Rank Order List deadline, March 17, 2023.
- If you do not intend to submit a Rank Order List for the Match, you must withdraw from the Match using the NMS Match System.
Each residency offers one or more programs in the Match. A program refers to a type of position or stream of training at a residency (e.g., positions offered at different locations or with a different area of emphasis may be offered as separate programs). You must rank, and are matched to, a specific program offered by a residency.
|NMS Match System Opens For Rankings||February 27, 2023|
|Rank Order List Deadline||March 17, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time|
The Matching Algorithm is designed such that it cannot be gamed or manipulated.
The only strategy is to rank your choices in order of your true preferences, without considering how you expect to be ranked by any program.
Rank all programs at residency sites to which you applied that would be acceptable. Submitting a longer list of programs may reduce your chances of being left unmatched.
Do not rank any program that you consider unacceptable (i.e., you would not want to be matched to the program, even if it was the only position available to you in the Match). You can only be matched to programs that appear on your Rank Order List.
Certify Your Rank Order List
You must certify your Rank Order List in the NMS Match System in order for it to be used in the Match. Certifying your Rank Order List lets NMS know it is ready to be used in the Match.
You can make changes to your list even after it is certified, until the Rank Order List deadline. If you make changes after your list is certified, the list will become uncertified and you will have to certify your list again before the Rank Order List deadline for it to be used in the Match.
Participating as a Couple
Two applicants who wish to coordinate their matches (e.g., obtain positions in the same geographic location) may participate in the Match as a Couple.
Guides to the NMS Match System
Consult the Account User Guide, Application User Guide, and Rankings User Guide for detailed instructions for using the NMS Match System.
To jump to the instructions for a specific task within the system guides, refer to the links below:
- Log into the NMS Match System
- Change Match Participation Status
- Update Account Information
- Update Profile Information
- Submit Applications
- Importing Rankings from Your Applications
- Enter Your Rank Order List
- Certify Your Rank Order List