About Importing a List
If you have a very long list of applicants to rank (e.g., more than 25 applicants) and you have a pre-existing file of those applicants, you may find that importing the list into the NMS Match System is easier than searching and adding applicants one at a time using the web-based interface.
Record Format of the File
The file to be imported must be a comma-separated text file ending with the extension .csv or .txt (e.g., ranklist.csv).
The NMS Match System uses only the rank number and the applicant Code Number to identify a ranked applicant. Other information may be included in the text file (e.g., applicant name, doctoral program, etc.) but will be ignored.
Your file must comply with the following format:
- Each choice (combination of rank number and applicant Code Number) must be on a separate line or record in the file.
- The first set of numeric characters on each line must be the rank number for that choice.
- The rank number must be followed by a comma.
- The second set of numeric characters on each line must be the 5-digit applicant Code Number for that choice.
- If there are any other characters on the line they must follow and be separated from the applicant Code Number by a comma.
The following is an example of an acceptable record format:
- 1, 12345, John Smith
- 2, 98765, Jane Brown
Instructions For Importing a Rank Order List
- Print a copy of the exported .csv or .txt file, preferably in rank number sequence, for proofing the Rank Order List to be created in the NMS Match System. This step is optional but highly recommended.
- Log in to the NMS Match System in the usual manner.
- Select Rankings from the menu.
- Select the link for Import a Rank Order List near the top of the page. This link is only shown if no applicants are on your Rank Order List.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to identify the file to be imported and to complete the import process.
The NMS Match System will read the file and perform checks to ensure that the applicant Code Numbers and rank numbers are correct. If any problems are detected in the data, they will be reported to you on the screen and no rankings will be imported.
If the import is successful, the Rank Order List will be created in the NMS Match System, just as if you had searched and added applicants individually. You will then have an opportunity to make changes or corrections to the Rank Order List within the NMS Match System, if necessary. You can add, delete, or reorder rankings within the NMS Match System using the online interface.
When the Rank Order List is finalized, you will have to certify the Rank Order List.