Applicants who wish to register for the APPIC Internship Matching Program (the "Match") for psychology internship positions beginning in 2017 should follow the procedures outlined below.
Prior to Registering
- Review the terms of the Applicant Agreement provided below. As part of the process of registering for the Match, you must agree to comply with and be bound by the terms of the Applicant Agreement.
- Review the information in the About the Match section of this web site, especially the APPIC Match Policies and Schedule of Dates. All participants must abide by the APPIC Match Policies and Schedule of Dates.
- Please note: to be eligible to register for the Match, you must be enrolled in an eligible doctoral program in professional psychology that requires internship training, and must expect to complete practicum experience by the start of internship. While you must be matriculating through the program, there is no requirement for you to be registered or paying tuition for any particular semester in order to be eligible to participate in the Match.
View 2017 Applicant Agreement
Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers
I plan to apply for a psychology internship position to start training between June 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. I agree to participate in and to abide by the policies of the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) Internship Matching Program (the “Match”). Specifically, I agree:
I am enrolled in a doctoral program in professional psychology that requires internship training, and I expect to complete practicum experience by the start of internship. I understand that my academic program has the authority to determine my eligibility for participation in the Match and which training sites I am permitted to include on my Rank Order List.
I understand that I must immediately notify all internship sites to which I have applied in the event of any change in my standing with my academic program (e.g., being put on probation) or in my eligibility to apply for internship.
I understand that I am free to make personal contacts with any participating internship program in which I am interested, to apply to as many of these programs as I wish, and to rank them according to my judgement.
I also understand that I must not communicate my ranking intentions to any program, and must not request that a program inform me as to how it intends to rank any applicant. I understand further that participating internship programs must not communicate their ranking intentions to me and must not request that I state how I intend to rank any program. Any statement or other expression concerning how I intend to rank an internship program or how that program intends to rank me is a violation of APPIC Match Policies, and in any event is subject to change based on further considerations.
The Rank Order List I submit for each Phase of the Match will be the sole determinant of my order of preference for the internship programs to which I have applied for that Phase of the Match. Similarly, the Rank Order List(s) submitted by each program for each Phase of the Match will be the sole determinant of the program's order of preference for applicants for that Phase of the Match.
I understand that the result I obtain in the Match, whether I am matched or not and to which program I have been matched, may be reported to my academic program, to programs participating in the Match, and to others, either by mail or electronically.
I understand that my appointment to the internship program with which I am matched may be contingent on my satisfying eligibility requirements specified by the internship site and internship program.
I understand that the information provided to the Match may be used for research purposes.
I understand that APPIC may, in its discretion, release me and/or the internship program from the Match commitment with APPIC when APPIC determines that exceptional circumstances or reasonable cause warrant such release. I also understand that even if I am released from the Match commitment with APPIC, I may be subject to legal and/or disciplinary action by my academic and/or internship program if I do not attend the internship program to which I have been matched.
I understand that APPIC is responsible for enforcing this Agreement, and violations of the terms of this Agreement may be reported to the APPIC Standards and Review Committee. I understand that if I violate any of the terms of this Agreement, such as refusing to accept a position at the internship program with which I have been matched and/or refusing to attend the program with which I have been matched, the APPIC Board may pursue all available remedies, including barring me from participation in future APPIC Matching Programs. Furthermore, I could be subject to legal and/or disciplinary actions on the part of my academic and/or internship program.
Procedure for Registering
- You must register for the Match online using the NMS Match System, which can be accessed using the button provided at the bottom of this page. You should register only once; registered applicants who do not obtain a position in Phase I of the Match will be automatically eligible to participate in Phase II of the Match and do not need to register a second time.
- Academic Training Program: As part of the registration process, you will need to provide information about your academic training program, including identifying your school or university, doctoral program type, degree type, and name of your Director of Clinical Training (DCT). A list of all academic training programs that are eligible for the Match is available on this web site.
- APPIC Doctoral Program Associate: Most (but not all) doctoral programs subscribe to services provided by APPIC; these programs are referred to as APPIC Doctoral Program Associates. Each APPIC Doctoral Program Associate has been assigned an Associate Number by APPIC, and this Number is shown in the system for each doctoral program that is an APPIC Associate. These programs have been notified that their students are required to identify the program by its APPIC Associate Number when they register for the Match, and have been asked to provide their Associate Number to their students. You can also obtain the APPIC Associate Number for your academic training program from the list of eligible doctoral programs on this web site. If your program provides you with an APPIC Associate Number that differs from the Number shown on this web site, please check with your DCT, and have your DCT contact NMS if necessary.
Each APPIC Doctoral Program Associate will be provided with a list of the applicants who have indicated they are from that program, to confirm that students have identified the academic training program correctly when they registered for the Match. APPIC Doctoral Program Associates will also receive notification directly from NMS of the result obtained by each of their students in each Phase of the Match.
- CCPPP Member: Canadian programs that are not APPIC Associates but are members of the Canadian Council of Professional Psychology Programs (CCPPP) are shown in the system with a designation of "CCPPP" instead of an APPIC Associate Number.
- Neither APPIC Associate Nor CCPPP Member: These programs are shown in the system with a designation of "Non-Associate".
- Fee: The fee paid by each applicant who registers for the Match is composed of two parts, paid in one combined payment. The first component is a fee for the Match, which is the same for all applicants. The second component is a fee for use of the APPIC Online Directory (described in the section below on Applications to Programs), which varies depending on the applicant's academic program. Applicants from academic programs that are APPIC Doctoral Program Associates or CCPPP members pay a lower fee for the APPIC Online Directory than other applicants.
The total fee for an applicant from an academic program that is an APPIC Doctoral Program Associate or CCPPP member is $130.00 USD. This fee consists of the $110 Match fee plus $20 for the APPIC Online Directory.
The total fee for an applicant from an academic program that is NOT an APPIC Doctoral Program Associate or CCPPP member is $160.00 USD. This fee consists of the $110 Match fee plus $50 for the APPIC Online Directory.
The applicant registration fee is non-refundable (even if you subsequently decide to withdraw from the Match) and is not transferable to future Matches or other applicants; it applies only to the current Match year for the applicant who registers when the fee is paid.
For applicants who do not obtain a position in Phase I of the Match, the fee you pay to register for the Match also covers your participation in Phase II of the Match; no additional fee is required to participate in Phase II.
- Timing: It is recommended that applicants register for the Match by December 1, 2016, although registrations can be accepted after that date. However, no applicant registrations for the Match can be accepted after February 1, 2017. Furthermore, if you register after December 31, 2016, your Director of Clinical Training must explicitly authorize your registration before it can be accepted by NMS.
- A statement signed by your DCT certifying that you are eligible for an internship beginning in 2017, and authorizing NMS to register you for the 2017 Match. This authorization can be provided by having your DCT either sign the form provided or send a separate signed letter to NMS providing the necessary authorization.
- Payment of the Match registration fee. Payment can be made by providing credit card information to NMS, either on the form provided or by calling the NMS office. Alternatively, you can mail a check or international money order to NMS.
- Couples: Two applicants who wish to coordinate their matches (e.g., obtain positions in the same geographic location) may participate in the Match as a "couple". Each applicant must first register to participate in the Match. After both applicants have registered, they can indicate in the NMS Match System that they are part of a couple and identify their partner. Use the following link to obtain further information on how to Participate as a Couple.
- When your registration is completed, you will be assigned a 5-digit applicant Code Number to identify you in the Match. Use your Code Number in all future correspondence pertaining to the Match. You will need your Code Number, e-mail and password in order to access your account, submit your Rank Order List and obtain your Match result from the NMS Match System. You should also enter your applicant Code Number (but not your password) into your AAPI Online application, so that the programs to which you apply will know your applicant Code Number.
View information on identifying your academic program
Doctoral programs are identified in the NMS Match System by the school or university, program type, degree type, and the name of the DCT for the program. In addition, each doctoral program in the system is designated as one of the following:
The fee you pay to register for the Match will depend on your academic program. Applicants from APPIC Doctoral Program Associates or programs that are members of CCPPP pay a registration fee of $130 USD; applicants from programs that are neither APPIC Associates nor CCPPP members pay a registration fee of $160 USD. Therefore, it is important that you correctly identify your academic training program when you register for the Match.
Please note: APPIC Associate or CCPPP member status applies to individual doctoral programs within a school or university, not to the school or university as a whole. In a school or university that has more than one doctoral program in psychology, it may be that one program is an APPIC Associate or CCPPP member and another program is not. For example, it is possible that a doctoral program in counseling psychology is an APPIC Associate while a clinical psychology program at the same university is not. Thus, if your school or university has multiple doctoral programs in psychology, be sure that you indicate your specific doctoral program correctly when you register for the Match.
Whether or not your program is an APPIC Associate or CCPPP member will have no impact on your participation in the Match (other than your registration fee) or on the results you achieve in the Match. The identity of your academic program will be used by NMS only to verify your registration fee and to facilitate the reporting of Match results.
View more information on registering for the Match after December 31, 2016:
To register after December 31, you should begin the online registration process in the usual manner, as described above. You must provide all the information requested in the system and agree to the terms of the Applicant Agreement online. However, you will not be able to pay the registration fee or complete the registration process online. After you have provided the required information and agreed to the terms of the Applicant Agreement, a page will be displayed with instructions for completing your registration. You must follow the instructions provided and send the necessary information to NMS.
The following items need to be sent to NMS to complete your registration:
Except for checks or money orders, these items can be sent to NMS by fax or as a scanned e-mail attachment. After both your DCT's authorization and your payment are received at NMS, you will be registered for the Match. NMS will then send you an e-mail confirming your Match registration and providing you with your applicant Code Number for the Match.
Applications to Programs
- Registration for the Match does NOT constitute an application to any of the internship programs participating in the Match. You must still apply to any and all programs in which you are interested. For Phase I of the Match, each internship program has its own application deadline date; therefore, you should check with each program as soon as possible regarding its application deadline date.
- APPIC provides an Online Directory of internship and postdoctoral programs that are APPIC members, which is available to all applicants from the APPIC web site at appic.org.
- APPIC has also implemented an electronic application service, called AAPI Online, which applicants must use to prepare and submit applications to programs that are participating in the Match. AAPI Online is a separate and distinct service from the Match, and applicants must register to use AAPI Online separately from registering for the Match. AAPI Online is used by applicants to apply to programs, while the Match determines the final placement of applicants into programs. Information on the use of AAPI Online to apply to internship programs is provided on the APPIC web site at appic.org.
- You should enter your 5-digit applicant Code Number into your AAPI Online application, in order to provide your Code Number to the programs to which you apply. Programs require this number in order to correctly identify you on their Rank Order Lists. Programs can access your Code Number from the AAPI portal even if you enter it after you have submitted applications. You should keep your password confidential; do not provide your password to any programs or enter it into your AAPI Online application.
- All application requirements, including interviews, must be completed early enough so that your Rank Order List for Phase I of the Match can be submitted no later than the February 1, 2017 deadline.
- If you do not obtain a position in Phase I of the Match, you will have an opportunity after the Phase I Match results are released to submit additional applications to programs that have positions that remain available after Phase I.
- APPIC operates a free e-mail information service, called MATCH-NEWS, to provide additional information about the Match. It is recommended that all Match participants subscribe to this service. Instructions for subscribing to MATCH-NEWS are provided in the Additional Information section of this web site.
Register Using the NMS Match System
- If you have not yet registered for the Match and wish to do so now, click on the button provided below:
After registering for the Match, you can access your account by selecting the Log In button in the top-right corner of the screen. You will need your e-mail and password to access your account.
- If you have any questions concerning registering for the APPIC Internship Matching Program, please contact National Matching Services Inc. directly.