Applicants who wish to register for the ASHP Resident Matching Program (the "Match") for PGY1 or PGY2 pharmacy residency positions beginning in 2017 should follow the procedures outlined below.
Phase II Registration
Applicants who did not register to participate in the Match by March 2, 2017, may now register to participate in Phase II.
Applicants who registered in Phase I but did not match to a position do not have to re-register to participate in Phase II. The fee you paid to register in Phase I covers your participation in Phase II of the Match
Prior to Registering
- Review the terms of the Applicant Agreement provided below. As part of the process to register for the Match, you must agree to comply with and be bound by the terms of the Applicant Agreement.
- Review the information accessible from the links in the About the Match section of this web site, especially the ASHP Match Rules and Schedule of Dates. All Match participants must abide by these rules and dates.
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
I plan to apply for a postgraduate year one (PGY1) or postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency position to start training between June 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. In order to participate in the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists ("ASHP") Resident Matching Program (the "Match"), I agree:
I understand that I am free to make personal contacts with any participating program in which I am interested, to apply to as many of these programs as I wish, and to rank them according to my judgement.
I understand that I must not communicate my ranking intentions to any program, and must not request that a program inform me as to how it intends to rank any applicant. I understand further that participating programs must not communicate their ranking intentions to me and must not request that I state how I intend to rank any program. Any statement or other expression concerning how I intend to rank a program or how any program intends to rank me is a violation of the ASHP Match Rules, and in any event is subject to change based on further considerations.
For the purposes of the Match, the Rank Order List I submit in each Phase of the Match is to be the sole determinant of my order of preference for the programs to which I have applied for that Phase of the Match. Similarly, for the purposes of the Match, the Rank Order List submitted by each program for each Phase of the Match is to be the sole determinant of the program's order of preference for the applicants to the program for that Phase of the Match.
I understand that the result I obtain in the Match, whether I am matched or not and to which residency program I have been matched, may be reported to my school, to programs participating in the Match, and to others, either by mail or electronically.
I understand that my appointment to the program with which I am matched may be contingent on my satisfying eligibility requirements specified by the organization and program.
I understand that ASHP possesses beneficiary standing to enforce this Agreement, and violations of the terms of this Agreement or the ASHP Match Rules will be reported to ASHP. I understand that if I violate any of the terms of this Agreement or the ASHP Match Rules, such as refusing to accept a position at the program with which I have been matched, ASHP may pursue all available remedies, including reporting my actions to my school. Furthermore, ASHP may impose penalties on me, including barring me from participation in future ASHP Resident Matching Programs.
Procedure for Registering
- You must register for the Match online using the registration portal shared by the Match and the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS), as described in the final section of this page. You should register for the Match only once; applicants who do not obtain a position in Phase I of the Match will be automatically eligible to participate in Phase II of the Match and do not need to register a second time.
- Fee: You must pay a fee of $150 USD to register for the Match. The registration fee is non-refundable (even if you subsequently decide to withdraw from the Match), irrevocable, and is not transferable to future Matches or other applicants; it applies ONLY to the current Match year for the applicant who registers when the fee is paid.
For applicants who do not obtain a position in Phase I of the Match, the fee you pay to register for the Match also covers your participation in Phase II of the Match; no additional fee is required to participate in Phase II.
- Timing: Applicants applying to residencies in the United States that participate in PhORCAS must register for the Match before they can submit applications to those programs; therefore, applicants are encouraged to register as soon as possible.
- Applicants for PGY2 Positions: To participate in the Match for a position that starts training at the PGY2 level, you must have already completed a PGY1 residency, or currently be in training in a PGY1 residency program that will be completed before the start of the PGY2 residency. When you register for the Match you will be required to indicate where and when you received your PGY1 residency training.
Applicants interested in PGY2 training who have not completed a PGY1 residency, but who have practiced at least three years as a pharmacist, are licensed to practice as a pharmacist in the United States, and believe they have postgraduate experience that may be equivalent to PGY1 training, may apply directly to ASHP for a special exemption from this requirement. Download information on the criteria that must be met, and how to apply for this exemption.
- Graduates of a Foreign School of Pharmacy: If you are a graduate of a school of pharmacy that is not ACPE-accredited, you must be eligible for licensure in the United States in order to register for the Match. You must provide either a copy of your license for each state in which you are licensed, or a copy of your Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Certificate (FPGEC), prior to registering for the Match. Instructions for providing this information are provided in the PhORCAS system. Information concerning the FPGEC certificate may be obtained by contacting the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy, 1600 Feehanville Drive, Mount Prospect, IL 60056, telephone 847-391-4406, web site www.nabp.net.
- Couples: Two applicants who wish to coordinate their matches (e.g., obtain positions in the same geographic location) may participate in the Match as a "Couple". Each applicant must first register to participate in the Match as an individual. After both applicants have registered, they can identify themselves as a couple when they submit their Rank Order Lists for each Phase of the Match. Use the following link to read further instructions for participating in the Match as a couple.
- When your registration for the Match is complete, you will be assigned a 5-digit applicant Code Number to identify you in the Match. Use your Code Number in all future correspondence pertaining to the Match. You will need your Code Number, e-mail and password you provide on the shared PhORCAS/Match registration portal in order to submit your Rank Order List for each Phase of the Match and obtain your Match results from this web site. You should also provide your applicant Code Number to the programs to which you apply.
Applications to Programs
- Information on residency programs can be obtained from the online ASHP Residency Directory, which is available on the ASHP web site at www.ashp.org (under the tab for Resdiency, select the link to the Residency Directory).
- All residency programs that participate in the Match also participate in PhORCAS, which has been established by ASHP. PhORCAS and Match are two separate services operated by separate entities. PhORCAS distributes application information to programs to initiate the application process, while the Match is used by applicants and programs at the end of the application process to determine the final placement of applicants with programs.
- Registration for the Match does NOT constitute an application to any of the programs participating in the Match. You must still apply to any and all programs in which you are interested for each Phase of the Match. If you are applying to programs in the United States that participate in PhORCAS, you must first register for the Match in order to be eligible to submit applications to those programs.
- Each residency has its own application deadline date. Therefore, you should check with each program regarding its application deadline date in each Phase of the Match, and you should register for the Match as soon as possible.
Accessing the Shared PhORCAS/Match Registration Portal
- National Matching Services Inc. (NMS) and PhORCAS have collaborated to implement a shared PhORCAS/Match registration portal in order to simplify the process for applicants, by providing a single access point for applicants to register for the Match and to submit applications to programs using PhORCAS. You must use the shared PhORCAS/Match portal to register for the Match.
- You are not required to complete PhORCAS applications in order to register for the Match; however, you must be registered for the Match in order to submit applications to programs in the United States through PhORCAS.
- To access the PhORCAS/Match portal to register for the Match, click on the button provided below:
- After the registration process is completed, your registration information will be transmitted from the PhORCAS/Match portal to NMS overnight, and will be reflected in the records maintained by NMS within 24 hours. You should receive a confirmation and additional information from NMS by e-mail within 3 business days following completion of your Match registration.
- After registering, you can update the information you submitted to register for the Match if necessary by returning to the PhORCAS/Match registration portal at portal.phorcas.org.
- For the purposes of the Match, the PhORCAS/Match portal is used only to register and maintain your profile information. You will submit your Rank Order List and obtain Match results directly from this Match web site (not the shared registration portal).