Applicants who wish to register for the ASHP Resident Matching Program (the "Match") for PGY1 or PGY2 pharmacy residency positions beginning in 2015 should follow the procedures outlined below.
Note: Registration for the Match will open in early November, 2014. Access to the online system to register for the Match will be provided at that time in the last section of this page.
Prior to Registering
- Review the terms of the Applicant Agreement provided below. As part of the process to register for the Match, you must agree to comply with and be bound by the terms of the Applicant Agreement.
- Review the information accessible from the links in the About the Match section of this web site, especially the ASHP Match Rules and Schedule of Dates. All Match participants must abide by these rules and dates.
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
I plan to apply for a postgraduate year one (PGY1) or postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency position to start training between June 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015. In order to participate in the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) Resident Matching Program (the “Match”), I agree:
I understand that I am free to make personal contacts with any participating program in which I am interested, to apply to as many of these programs as I wish, and to rank them according to my judgement.
I understand that I must not communicate my ranking intentions to any program, and must not request that a program inform me as to how it intends to rank any applicant. I understand further that participating programs must not communicate their ranking intentions to me and must not request that I state how I intend to rank any program. Any statement or other expression concerning how I intend to rank a program or how any program intends to rank me is a violation of the ASHP Match Rules, and in any event is subject to change based on further considerations.
For the purposes of the Match, my Rank Order List is to be the sole determinant of my order of preference for the programs to which I have applied. Similarly, for the purposes of the Match, the Rank Order List submitted by each program is to be the sole determinant of the program's order of preference for the applicants to the program.
I understand and agree that information concerning my participation in the Match, including my Match result, may be provided to me electronically.
I understand that the result I obtain in the Match, whether I am matched or not and to which residency program I have been matched, may be reported to my school, to programs participating in the Match, and to others, either by mail or electronically.
I understand that my appointment to the program with which I am matched may be contingent on my satisfying eligibility requirements specified by the organization and program.
I understand that ASHP possesses beneficiary standing to enforce this Agreement, and violations of the terms of this Agreement or the ASHP Match Rules will be reported to ASHP. I understand that if I violate any of the terms of this Agreement or the ASHP Match Rules, such as refusing to accept a position at the program with which I have been matched, ASHP may pursue all available remedies, including reporting my actions to my school. Furthermore, ASHP may impose penalties on me, including barring me from participation in future ASHP Resident Matching Programs.
Procedure for Registering
- You must register for the Match online using the registration portal shared by the Match and the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS), as described in the last section of this page. You should register for the Match only once.
- Fee: You must pay a fee of $130 US to register for the Match. The registration fee is non-refundable (even if you subsequently decide to withdraw from the Match), irrevocable, and is not transferable to future Matches or other applicants; it applies ONLY to the current Match year for the applicant who registers when the fee is paid.
- Timing: It is recommended that applicants register for the Match by December 31, 2014, although registrations can be accepted after that date if necessary. Applicants applying to residencies in the United States that participate in PhORCAS must register for the Match before they can submit applications to those programs; therefore, applicants are encouraged to register as soon as possible.
- Applicants for PGY2 Positions: To participate in the Match for a position that starts training at the PGY2 level, you must have already completed a PGY1 residency, or currently be in training in a PGY1 residency program that will be completed before the start of the PGY2 residency. When you register for the Match you will be required to indicate where and when you received your PGY1 residency training.
Applicants interested in PGY2 training who have not completed a PGY1 residency, but who have practiced at least three years as a pharmacist, are licensed to practice as a pharmacist in the US, and believe they have postgraduate experience that may be equivalent to PGY1 training, may apply directly to ASHP for a special exemption from this requirement. For information on the criteria that must be met, and how to apply for this exemption, use the following link to view or download a document in PDF format.
Current PGY1 residents who are interested in continuing their training in a PGY2 residency offered by the same sponsor as the applicant's PGY1 residency (e.g., the same or an affiliated organization) may be able to obtain the position through an Early Commitment Process. Early commitments by applicants and programs must be made by December 19, 2014. Applicants who are committed to a position in this manner do not need to register for or participate in the Match. Positions available in participating PGY2 programs that are not committed to applicants by December 19, 2014 must be offered through the matching process, and applicants interested in such positions must register for and participate in the Match. More information on the Early Commitment Process is available in the About the Match section of this web site.
- Graduates of a Foreign School of Pharmacy: If you are a graduate of a school of pharmacy that is not ACPE-accredited, you must be eligible for licensure in the United States in order to register for the Match. You must provide either a copy of your license for each state in which you are licensed, or a copy of your Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Certificate (FPGEC), prior to registering for the Match. Instructions for providing this information are provided in the PhORCAS system. Information concerning the FPGEC certificate may be obtained by contacting the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy, 1600 Feehanville Drive, Mount Prospect, IL 60056, telephone 847-391-4406, web site www.nabp.net.
- Couples: Two applicants who wish to coordinate their matches (e.g., obtain positions in the same geographic location) may participate in the Match as a "Couple". Each applicant must first register to participate in the Match as an individual; applicants identify themselves as a couple when they submit their Rank Order Lists for the Match. Use the following link to read further instructions for participating in the Match as a couple.
- When your registration for the Match is complete, you will be assigned a 5-digit applicant Code Number to identify you in the Match. Use your Code Number in all future correspondence pertaining to the Match. You will need your Code Number and the password you provide on the shared PhORCAS/Match registration portal in order to submit your Rank Order List and obtain your Match results from this web site. You should also provide your applicant Code Number (but not your password) to the programs to which you apply.
Applications to Programs
- Information on residency programs can be obtained from the online ASHP Residency Directory, which is available on the ASHP web site at www.ashp.org (under the tab for Accreditation, select the link to the Residency Directory).
- Most residency programs that participate in the Match also participate in PhORCAS, which has been established by ASHP. PhORCAS and Match are two separate services operated by separate entities. PhORCAS distributes application information to programs to initiate the application process, while the Match is used by applicants and programs at the end of the application process to determine the final placement of applicants with programs.
- Registration for the Match does NOT constitute an application to any of the programs participating in the Match. You must still apply to any and all programs in which you are interested. If you are applying to programs in the United States that participate in PhORCAS, you must first register for the Match in order to be eligible to submit applications to those programs.
- Each residency has its own application deadline date, which may be earlier than the recommended December 31, 2014 date for registering for the Match. Therefore, you should check with each program regarding its application deadline date, and you should register for the Match as soon as possible.
- All application requirements, including interviews, must be completed early enough so that your Rank Order List for the Match can be submitted no later than the March 6, 2015 deadline.
Accessing the Shared PhORCAS/Match Registration Portal
- National Matching Services Inc. (NMS) and PhORCAS have collaborated to implement a shared PhORCAS/Match registration portal in order to simplify the process for applicants, by providing a single access point for applicants to register for the Match and to submit applications to programs using PhORCAS. You must use the shared PhORCAS/Match portal to register for the Match.
- You are not required to complete PhORCAS applications in order to register for the Match; however, you must be registered for the Match in order to submit applications to programs in the United States through PhORCAS.
- To access the PhORCAS/Match portal to register for the Match, click on the link provided below:
- After the registration process is completed, your registration information will be transmitted from the PhORCAS/Match portal to NMS overnight, and will be reflected in the records maintained by NMS within 24 hours. You should receive a confirmation and additional information from NMS by e-mail within 3 business days following completion of your Match registration.
- After registering, you can update the information you submitted to register for the Match if necessary by returning to the PhORCAS/Match registration portal at portal.phorcas.org.
- For the purposes of the Match, the PhORCAS/Match portal is used only to register and maintain your profile information. You will submit your Rank Order List and obtain Match results directly from this Match web site (not the shared registration portal).